October 5, 2013

Girls weekend.

547836_304851306322473_1891222999_n

1378473_304851129655824_1804806742_n

Dave & Max are off today to stay with Dave’s parents at a little house in the country that they’ve recently built, & plan on retiring to.  I could have gone, absolutely, but I’ve opted to stay behind & have myself a little bit of a girl’s weekend with lady Frankie.

The truth is, I need to catch up on & get ahead of some work commitments before I fly to Adelaide to be with my own family in a couple of weeks.  But aside from a little bit of work, all I honestly want to do is just be with my daughter.  We haven’t had any ‘just the two of us’ time since she’s been born, & so I’m just craving to be able to concentrate on nothing else other than feeding her, sleeping alongside her after her feeds, taking some photos of her, & just … lovebombing her, really.  Actually just thinking about all of the impending calm I have scheduled ahead of me fills me with … well, calm!

The weeks following Frankie’s birth were nothing short of mayhem.  It all seemed to begin with our having been discharged but just a few hours following our 36 hour labour, & then returning home to a house that literally needed to be packed up that day (& the next couple of days following) in preparation for our move that week.  Yes, that week.  They say that some of the two biggest things you’ll do in your life are moving house, & having children, & we managed to combine both of those things into one completely ridiculous week.

At the risk of sounding princess-y, I feel like I need this weekend to put my feet up & just … recover from that one completely insane week that just so happened to coincide with a pretty intense labour, & the resulting birth of my beautiful daughter.  It’s a week that I don’t want to have again, because it was taxing, & there were tears, & arguments, & the added stress of a couple of side issues that I have no intention of discussing here on my blog – simply because there are just some things, & particular people, & my relationship with those people that I’ve vowed not to discuss here in this online space – mostly out of respect for the good things, & the good people in my life that this discussion might hurt.

So today, & tonight, & tomorrow, & tomorrow afternoon belong to just Frankie & I.  And if the weather’s nice, I just want to lie in bed next to her, under a sheet, skin to skin.  And I just want to be a big ol’ creep & sniff her, & enjoy that newbie smell.  And by the time my boys come home, I’m hoping I’ll be a little bit better for having had this weekend to just be, & maybe I’ll even be a little less tired, & a little less grouchy too.

Bonus.

~

Photography by Clare Martin Lapworth Photography

{ 13 comments… read them below or add one }

tash October 5, 2013 at 11:12 am

awesome Cherie. Enjoy. The thing I miss most about having grown up kids? The newbie baby smell. xx

Raising Master Max October 5, 2013 at 1:01 pm

I read somewhere that the smell of a newborn baby alone is a natural endorphin, & I really kinda believe it. Now, I’m not one to walk up to random babies & ask to smell them, but my own babies? Oh my gosh, I LOVE the smell.

It’s perfection x

Lucy October 5, 2013 at 12:08 pm

I did the same with my second. I spent a weekend just the two of us to get to know him as he had spent 10 days in special care and two weeks later we packed up our apartment, sold it, moved 2 and a half hrs away and unpacked whilst trying to feed him two hourly to get him to gain weight. It sounds silly but after the weekend of just the two of us I felt truly bonded and he began to thrive. So you are well and truly doing the right thing, have a lovely girly weekend!

Raising Master Max October 5, 2013 at 1:02 pm

Wow Lucy!

WOW.

That’s amazing that he got so much from that experience – completely beautiful really. I think sometimes you just know what your baby (& YOU!) need, & for us, it’s a little bit of one on one – because she needs it, but honestly? I do too.

The house is just SO quiet & beautiful at the moment :)

x

Multiblogging Mum October 5, 2013 at 12:54 pm

sometimes one has to do what they have to do …
enjoy your special time with your baby girl and have some rest and relaxation …

Raising Master Max October 5, 2013 at 1:03 pm

I am, I really am x

Rachael October 5, 2013 at 12:57 pm

Goosebumps Cherie! Goosebumps – covered my whole body the entire way through reading your post X
What an amazing opportunity to bond with baby Frankie, take some time out for yourself and recuperate, if even just a little. Sounds like you know just what you and your family needs ♥

Raising Master Max October 5, 2013 at 1:03 pm

I swear, opportunities like these are few & far between, & we are both just basking in it :)

x

Sarah October 5, 2013 at 4:50 pm

Enjoy your girls weekend- sounds like you well and truly deserve it!

Sass and Spice October 6, 2013 at 3:03 am

I hope you enjoy your girls weekend! It’s hard to spend quality alone time with Frankie when you have a toddler running around so it will do you both good!

Bel October 7, 2013 at 10:39 am

Hope you enjoyed your time with Frankie Cherie! Hubby and I always try to have a ‘date’ with our girl at least once a month, it’s so much fun and she feels so special!

Vanessa October 7, 2013 at 4:36 pm

Nothing wrong with alone/chill time :)

Tara January 17, 2014 at 7:28 am

Love your blog, it’s great…girl wend sounds amazing oh how I long for one! Ha your long labour sounds like mine, two days wow wee wasn’t that fun and not painful! Love photos, yr daughter is beautiful…